Tuesday, July 24, 2012

THE LOVE OF DUCK FAT

So this is my first entry.  I’ll tell you why I’m starting a food blog.  I submitted one of my recipes to the Cooking Club of America magazine and it was published in the April/May 2011 issue. My mom thought I should start a blog, so here I am.

Now, let me say, I love duck fat fries, I love potatoes sautéed in duck fat.  However, I am not fond of the smell of heated duck fat.  It smells like roasting turkey and I don’t like turkey.

There are a lot of foods that don’t smell that great cooking or right out of the fridge.  I would like to know who had the guts to try them the first time.

Tonight I made braised chicken with creamy leeks and potatoes in duck fat with thyme and garlic. 

Sautéed Duck Fat Potatoes with thyme and garlic
Makes 4 servings

3 lbs of russet potatoes cubed, 1 inch
5T rendered duck fat
1t chopped fresh thyme
2 cloves minced garlic
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat duck fat over medium heat in a large skillet.  Add potatoes, cover and lower heat slightly. 



Cook covered until potatoes soften.  Increase heat to medium, tossed potatoes occasionally as they brown.  When they brown to your taste, add thyme and garlic and sautée for 2-3 minutes more.  Add salt and pepper to taste.




Plate with chicken breasts.


No comments:

Post a Comment