Tuesday, July 31, 2012

PIZZA PERFECTION

Today I transcended my pizza making skills of almost 30 years.

Most of my friends love my homemade pizza.  I make the dough, grate the cheese, and make my secret sauce.  But I have never been happy with my crust after baking.

I have buttered the edges out of the oven, tried adding an egg yolk to the dough mixture, grilled in right on the grates of a grill, cooked it on a pizza stone in the oven, but never figured out why I never got the chewy crust I was looking for.

All the chef’s magazines offer stones to grill on your grill.  I had an extra one and thought, hey, why not toss it on the grill and try it.

The first time was an absolute disaster.  I preheated the grill and stone as hot as my Weber grill goes – 700 degrees F.

The first pizza came out all right.  Nice crust, chewy, like a pizza oven.  I was thrilled.  Then I made my husband’s favorite, bbq chicken.  It burned to a crisp in minutes and was inedible.

I spent hours researching the best way to cook on a stone.  NEVER let the grill heat up past 550F was my conclusion.

The pizzas today came out like a pizzeria fire oven had cooked them.  I don’t think I will ever make pizza any other way again.



No comments:

Post a Comment